Preparing UOPeople MSIT #03 Week03 Change in Learning Focus
Shift in Learning Focus
Initial Goal: Participation in Overseas Projects Part-Time
Initially, my main goal was to participate in projects abroad, and I worked hard towards achieving that.
Improving English Skills
I discovered that gradually learning things in English is really helpful. It not only enhances language skills but also improves understanding of IT concepts.
Transitioning Towards UOP’s MSIT Program
I began considering applying to UOP’s MSIT program as it aligns well with my career and educational aspirations.
Why UOP’s MIST?
UOP’s MSIT program offers several benefits for me:
- Low Tuition Fees: The program’s affordable tuition makes higher education accessible to me without financial burden.
- MBA like Program: As my major profession in the last 5 years has been as an IT administrator, an MBA-like program will help me improve my job.
- Online: This course will be completed entirely online. It benefits me.
Progress in MSIT Application
Tasks Completed for the Application
I’ve submitted some of the required documents, started the necessary MSIT courses, and am still preparing for the DET test. I’ve already submitted my Bachelor’s degree diploma and degree transcript from the university in Japan where I graduated.
Preparation for the Next Semester at UOP
I’m also getting everything in order for starting at UOP in the upcoming semester.
Improvement in DET Practice Tests
My scores in DET practice tests have improved, showing progress from an expected score range of 75-95 in week 2 to 85-105 in week 3.
Taking Python courses on Coursera and applying to UOP MSIT have increased my exposure to English, leading to a perceived improvement in my Duolingo English Test scores. While I still face challenges in speaking and writing, this progress is promising.
Advancement in the Python Course
I’ve completed about 70% of the Python course, which has expanded my knowledge in IT. The course I took on Coursera was “IBM Python for Data Science, AI & Development.”
Python for Data Science, AI & Development
Reasons for Choosing This Course:
- Experience in Python development for work
- Relatively low amount of text
- AI-friendly with abundant libraries
Meeting MSIT Program Requirements
Regarding the requirements for the MSIT program:
- College-level calculus, linear algebra, or statistics
- Documentation proving proficiency in at least one programming language
- Evidence of English language proficiency
For the first requirement, I plan to take a statistics course on Coursera called “Statistics with Python Specialization” offered by the University of Michigan.
I consulted with an advisor to ensure that completing this course certificate fulfills the requirements for admission to the MSIT program.
Preparing for the Next Semester at UOP While Juggling Other Tasks
I’ve managed to prepare for the next semester at UOP while also handling other responsibilities. I still need to prepare for the Duolingo English Test.
Increased Study Time
I’ve noticed that spending more time studying has made it challenging to manage my schedule effectively.
Since my commuting time has decreased compared to before, I’ve been able to allocate this time for studying, which has helped so far. In the future, I may need to increase my study time even more. I’ll explore efficient study methods through time management.
- UOPeople MSIT #01 How to participate in remote projects overseas from Japan
- UOPeople MSIT #02 Research check the job opportunities
- UOPeople MSIT #03 Change in Learning Focus
- UOPeople MSIT #04 Progress Update: Completed Python Course, Started Statistics Course
- UOPeople MSIT #05 Progress Update: Reflecting on Two Weeks of Statistics Learning